Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Beginning of the Beginning of the End

Hello, good Debt Daddy readers!

Well, I'm back from vacation, and I'm finally getting caught up with my blogging. I just read my last entry, and I scared myself a little bit. My, my...wasn't I just full of piss and vinegar (for all you kids out there, that means...um....like hyped up - you still say that, don't you?)

Thanks go out to debtsnowballkiller for commending my serious motivation, and she's right - I was motivated as hell. You wanna find out exactly where your finances are? Plan a vacation. Not only do you have to fund the darned thing, but you have to structure all your bill payments to go off seemlessly without you. When I wrote my last post, I had just finished setting all of that up, and I was ready to pull my hair out (and I don't have a lot to begin with, so that's saying something). The actual doing of the thing is easy - schedule your payments online - you pick the date - and they come out of your checking account automatically. Simple, right? However, when you have no money and you're structuring your payments in such a way that Peter pays Paul who pays Mary who pays the other Mary who pays Judas - well, it becomes a riddle wrapped in a conundrum covered in a ponzy scheme - not so simple anymore. (More on that in a later post) In any case, it got done and we got gone.

I came back ready, willing and able to work my butt off and kick some serious credit card ass. Two men enter, one man leaves! Slay the Debt Creature! The theme song from Rocky as performed by System of a Down going through my mind! (Note: System of a Down has never, to my knowledge, done a cover of the Rocky theme song - as I said, this was in my mind - although it would be cool in an extremely warped kind of way, don'tcha think?) I was pumped! Juiced! A bunch of other words that convey excitement!

And there was no work.

I called everyone, and there was simply no work to be done for the entire first week back from vacation. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm an independent home improvement contractor. The best part of my job is that I'm not someone's employee. I don't have a boss to answer to. I don't have to play the corporate games. And, since I work alone, sex in the workplace is rarely an issue. The worst part of my job, ironically, is that I'm not someone's employee. No paid vacation days. No sick days. No overtime. And sex in the workplace is rarely an issue. In the corporate world, when there's no work, you can still look busy and get paid. When you're an independent and there's no work, you think about selling your body parts on Ebay.

The jobs are slowly creeping back now. People are back from their own vacations, they've recouped their losses from going on those vacations and have money to spend again. In another week, we should be able to buy groceries.

There's really not much of a point to this post except to say that Armageddon was temporarily called on account of near bankruptcy, but will be on again shortly.

Two men enter, one man leaves.

Diamond encrusted sword.

The whole nine yards.

Don't miss it.

No comments: