Friday, November 2, 2007

Debt Daddy's Better Half

So I know you've all been wondering - Is Debt Daddy taken? Could such a prime example of fiscal mismanagement and poor grooming still be on the market? Still looking for his special someone?

Well, sorry to disappoint, but yes Virginia - there is a Debt Mommy, and she's quite the special bit of something, she is. Stunningly beautiful and amazingly intelligent, this wonderful woman gets all my jokes, still loves me despite my myriad foibles, and manages to keep all the Debt Family trains running on time. And while fabulous wife, excellent mother and helluva homemaker were all quite worthy accomplishments, she has just done something that tops them all, putting the veritable cherry on the Debt Mommy Sundae -

She lost her job!

Isn't that Great!!

Uh-oh, Debt Daddy's gone and lost his mind (which we should've realized was already starting to happen when he claimed that the cancelling of HBO's acclaimed hit, "John From Cincinnati" was part of a vast right wing conspiracy). He's finally snapped - doesn't know up from down, good thing from bad thing, great from awful...the poor, pathetic creature.

Yes, I know - I sound crazy, but hear me out (and don't get me started on "John from Cincinnati"). My wife has worked for (names changed, identities protected, yada, yada - you know the drill) Spastic Colon, Inc. for many years and, despite her stellar performance, has never been fully appreciated for the superstar that she is. When Spastic Colon, Inc. announced that they would be moving Debt Mommy's job to outer Fubarstan, Debt Mommy hit the ground running and set a new standard for the term "proactive".

She searched for jobs online at all hours. She interviewed like a mad woman. Like a non-union NYC actor with no survival job and a loft rental to pay for, she did not stop "auditioning" until she got "cast in a new show". And, before you could say "beans and rice, rice and beans", my beautiful, dutiful bride had not only found a new job, but one at more money, with better benefits, and with a company that actually seems to realize and acknowledge what a talent she truly is.

Debt Mommy will be soon be working for Totally Awesome! Enterprises and, while I can't go into specific details, let's just say that the financial benefits, both from the old company and the new, are going to accelerate our debt payoff in a way which simply would not have been possible if things had remained as they were.

Early on in this blog, I had mentioned my search for the metaphorical "debt snowplow" to dig us out of the financial embankment in which we were buried. Who could have known that it would be my wife, Debt Mommy herself, bringing it to me, secured to the top of her minivan, wrapped in a huge red bow (and just in time for my birthday!).

So now, if you will, please join me in a round of applause for the gal who's my pal, the girl who rocks my world, the mom with aplomb, my wife for life - you know her, you love her - and doesn't she just look fabulous on that white horse with the cavalry riding behind her? - Give it up for the one, the only - - Debt Mommy!!

You rock, babe. :)

No comments: