Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Leftovers

Okay, maybe it's the cold and the switch off of daylight savings time, maybe it's the "pre-birthday funk" I always get, maybe my brain is in some form of shock from my consumption of approximately 4.75 pies since Thanksgiving Day - whatever the case, Dear old Debt Daddy just can't wrap his brain around a well rounded, coherent blog entry at this time. My thoughts are like so many post holiday leftovers...mystery blocks of aluminum foil scattered about in the refrigerator of my mind. So, in lieu of a proper post, I offer you my Leftover Extravaganza.

Leftover #1 - Go Forth and Prosper

While Citigroup and Countrywide are floundering and their stock has been plummeting (pardon me while I step away from the keyboard to do a sadistic Happy Dance................okay, I'm back now), I got the following from Prosper.com the other day:

YOU COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU

Prosper is pleased to announce that you have helped us reach $100MM in loans! Your involvement as a lender in the Prosper community has enabled people to start businesses, eliminate debt, improve homes, and fund educations. Thank you for helping us create opportunity for fellow Americans through the Prosper marketplace.

It works. And it works without major financial institutions, bottom feeding lobbyists, fat cat CEO's with golden parachutes - who needs all that anymore? People lending money to people - it doesn't get much better than that. My birthday is December 4th. You wanna get Debt Daddy the gift that keeps on giving? Click the link on the left for Prosper.com and fund a loan. Or borrow some funds to pay off the credit card vampires. Either way, we help each other and we help ourselves...and that gift is just what I always wanted.

Leftover#2 - I'm not buying anything from China anymore.

What the heck happened??????? When I was a kid, at least half the crap I had was "Made in China" and yet, it never killed me or put me into a coma. Now, after 40 some odd years of technological advances, they can't seem to make a toy that doesn't assault our kids. Well, this year I've decided to not reward bad behaviour. When China can figure out how to make a toy that's not quite so...hmmmm...what's the word.....HOMICIDAL, maybe I'll reconsider. For the time being however, I'm not even trusting their won tons.

Leftover #3 - Ho! Ho! Hey!!

This is ludicrous; I read a story last week that said certain department stores are asking their Santa's to say "Ha, Ha, Ha!" instead of the traditional "Ho, Ho, Ho!". The reason? They thought some of the mothers might misinterpret the meaning and take offense. I'm not kidding. The problem as I see it? Well, I (like a lot of Americans) am a little paranoid and more than a bit self conscious. You know what I'm gonna think if I walk through Macy's and Santa Claus looks at me and says "Ha, Ha, Ha"? That's right. Santa Claus is laughing...at me. "Did you hear that? I walk by and he says "HA, HA, HA" right in my face! That wasn't a warm, jolly "HO, HO, HO" - oh nooooo, that was a derisive, mocking "HA, HA, HA"! No, no, he's not gonna get away with that. Hey! Fat boy! What's so friggin' funny? (Fisticuffs ensue) Not so damn funny now, am I, ya friggin' Rent-A-Santa!! Debt Daddy winds up on the six o'clock news for assaulting Saint Nick. Nice.

Ladies, Santa Claus says "Ho, Ho, Ho" because that's what he's always said. Unless you show up to see Santa with your kid and the four guys that think they might be the father, he's not talking to you.

Leftover #4 - Sewing the Beads of Love

Speaking of kids and fathers, I came across this guy a while back and wanted to pass his name along to you. Jimmy Moore has been blogging for quite some time - one of his most read blogs is "Livin' La Vida Lo-Carb" (which is just the kind of kitchy title that makes Debt Daddy giggle). Anyway, he and his wife have been trying to have children for quite some time, but have had no luck, and are now turning to IVF (IVF = invitro fertilization, for anyone who doesn't know what the heck I'm babbling about). IVF can get pretty expensive, but have no fear! Believe it or not, Capital One now offers an "infertility loan" to finance the long (hopefully successful) road of making a baby with doctors present. So, whether or not their attempt to procreate is successful, they will still be paying back this loan with interest. Fortunately, Jimmy's wife has a sideline business that they're hoping will help to supplement some of the expenses and get this loan paid down. If you're still looking for Holiday gifts for people on your list, you might want to check out this link - http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/2007/11/join-in-on-jimmy-christines-beads-of.html - Jimmy's wife Christine makes some very pretty beaded jewelry, and purchasing some of her handiwork would not only make a lovely gift to whomever you're giving it to, but to the people you bought it from as well.

Well, that's about it. Thanks for sharing my leftovers with me - the fridge is looking pretty bare now. All that's left, hidden way back on the top shelf behind the eggs, is the very last Thanksgiving day pie.

One last pie.

It's a pumpkin pie.

And I'm not sharing it. :)

No comments: