Friday, December 5, 2008

Weekend Update

Wassuppppp?????

I know - I ain't been around these parts in a long spell. Apologies for my absence; as most of you know, this working like a dog to support the credit card companies can take up a whole heckuvalot of your time, and after busting your ass for "THE MAN" for however many hours a day (and since I'm self employed, I guess that makes me "THE MAN" which would account for my bouts of self loathing - I can't help it - I just think my boss is a big weenie, y'know?), sometimes you just don't feel up to blogging. Sometimes the idea of trying to formulate coherent thought is simply too daunting. Sometimes you just wanna watch "Chuck" instead.

But I'm here now, so let's just move on from this point with some Updates!!


Update #1: I Grow, I Prosper

I got this e-mail from Prosper.com last week -

Prosper Filing Registration Statement; Enters Quiet Period
Prosper has started a process to register, with the appropriate securities authorities, promissory notes that may be offered and sold to lenders through our site in the future. Until we complete the registration process, we will not accept new lender registrations or allow new commitments from existing lenders. If you're an existing lender, your current lender agreements will be unaffected; your existing loans will continue to be serviced; you'll be able to track and monitor your loans; and you'll be able to withdraw funds from your Prosper account. If you're a borrower with an existing loan, you will continue with your current borrower agreement and be unaffected by the registration process. If you're a borrower seeking a loan, you will still be able to create a new loan listing, which we will endeavor to fulfill through alternative sources. As the appropriate securities authorities may consider a new loan listing to constitute the offer of a security, we are unable to post new loan listings on our site until our registration statement becomes effective. A successful registration can take several months, but we assure you we will do our best to move forward as quickly as possible. Until this process is complete, we're required to be in a quiet period and will be unable to respond to press, blogger or other inquiries about Prosper or the registration filing until it becomes effective. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and want to thank you in advance for your understanding and support.


They also asked affiliates to temporarily remove any advertisements regarding Prosper from their blogs, so you won't see that ad on this site for a while. Here's hoping they get all their business wrapped up soon - Prosper's been very good to me, and I definitely want to do more investing with them.

Update #2: The Citi Never Sleeps (yeah, and neither do brain sucking zombies)

So, the other day I get a notice in the mail from Citibank (or CitiCorp or CitiGroup or whatever their frigging CitiCalling their CitiSelves this CitiDay). Anyway, the notice says that soon, they will be raising their interest rate on purchases from wherever yours might happen to be now (ours is at 6.5%) to 24.99%. Why? Just 'cause. But wait! There's another option! If you don't want your interest rate to quadruple!, you can "opt out". I wondered what opting out would entail, and called the CitiNumber to get some CitiAnswers. The CitiChick that I spoke with explained that, if you opt out, your interest rate will not increase; it will stay where it is. However, when your card expires, the account will be automatically closed. Being the suspicious DebtDaddy that I am, I said, "Ah, and then when the account closes, the balance is due in full, right? Right?" Wrong. After the card expires, you continue to make monthly payments as you normally would until the account is paid in full. So, in a nutshell; if you opt out, your interest rate doesn't go up, your account is closed which, if you're a Dave Ramseyite, you know is a good thing, and there's no other penalty. Of course, there are two caveats - the first is that most people's interest rates are variable rates that fluctuate with prime, so the rate could change - but last I checked, prime ain't going no where but down. The second thing is that your FICO score might get a little screwy at some point, since if the account is closed and you still owe money on it, then the amount of credit card debt you have might outweigh the amount of credit you have available to you, which doesn't get you high marks with FICO. But again, search Dave Ramsey's site for references to FICO, and you'll find that he doesn't really care much about that. He himself has a terrible FICO score, because that score is based on credit usage, which is a habit that the good Mr. Ramsey has kicked.

So, if you've got a CitiCard, you might want to call your own CitiChick or CitiDude and opt out yourself. Tell 'em Debt Daddy sent you. ;)

Update # 3: DebtDaddy Version 44.0

I'm old....er. Yes, reader - Debt Daddy turned 44 yesterday. The good news is I don't look a day over 50. The bad news is that I didn't get nearly enough people wishing me a happy birthday, so how about posting me some well wishes in the comments section? Or you could just send money - money works too. ;)

Thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got an opt out on a Bank of Hawaii card I've had for 26 years. It was originally VISA but 7 or 8 years ago they converted to AmEx and hired FIA Card Services to bill for them. The answer to my question of why my interest rate doubled was "Well, you're not actually using the card. It's clear you've been in pay-down mode for some time so we decided to make it official."

In other words, they can change the terms at any time, so they did. I wrote back and copied Bank of Hawaii. I told them what MY change of terms was - they could keep the card at the interest rate and conditions they originally offered me or they would never see another cent.

As of now, they've caved and they've credited me for the extra interest charged. We'll see if they stick to it.

Brian Jefferies said...

I am glad that you are back posting again. I really missed reading your blog on a regular basis.

Have a happy holiday!

Gene said...

I guess the Citi-whatever wasn't making enough - and you were a convenient "mark" to try to hit up for a contribution.
Anyway, I need to call sometime soon and say *Hi*. Ciao!